Porchetta...but when?

Porchetta. I had never heard of it until last Sunday. I walked into a small restaurant in a residential area in Amsterdam, to have a glass of wine with some oysters. As you do, on a Sunday afternoon.

Diego, the Iberico piglet.
From the corner of my eye, I saw something goldenbrown and shiny, steaming with joy and with closed yet smiling eyes: a small Iberico piglet.

His little pig's ears and nose wrapped in tinfoil against the harsh temperatures of the oven, taking a break on the kitchen worktop to get a good basting.

The cook was happy to explain what it was: a porchetta. A pig, deboned and all his inner bits and pieces cut up, mixed with herbs and stuffed back in. Normally spitroasted over an open fire, but in a professional kitchen the oven will do. It is not a small chore to make one. Here is a video on how to make one, Italian style (in Italian).

They had named it Diego - his little brother had joined him on this culinary but last travel and lay next to him with a similar happy grin on his snout. I guess, you can't see it from behind.
Jesus, the Iberico piglet.
I did not have the chance to try some of the porchetta myself - the chef had cooked it for a special occasion for the restaurant staff only. But I do have another goal in life: roasting a porchetta. And eating it too.


Volg mij op Twitter: @spekblog.
Follow me on Twitter: @spekblog

Reacties